Sunday, December 17, 2006

Egg Head

On a different subject altogether; I was thinking about software and the fact that you really can’t get your hands on it anymore. I have downloaded a number of (good) programs recently and I can’t help but think that I will have a real problem when it comes time for me to swap computers; old for new. If there was one problem that software engineers should focus on, this would be it. We need to have a completely painless way of upgrading to a new computer. If you want to sell computers…and software; you need to make the swapping of computer content so easy that even a child or senior citizen can do it. I have a lot of technical knowledge in my background, but if that knowledge isn’t up to date; I’m in trouble!

Remember Egg Head software stores? It hasn’t been that long since they were the hottest store around, selling programs on floppy disks and the exciting new CD versions. When you left the store, you had a package in your hand and if your computer failed, you could always re-install the software. You had little plastic “safes” to contain all of your valuable software. The good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment