Thursday, December 7, 2006

Water

Ah! Wonderful coffee! That first cup has just disappeared…no sipping. I guess I had better get another one and try to slow down and enjoy it even more.

I have been reading the news from the Los Angeles Times and during the past few days the headlines included a story about the historical significance of the restoration of water flow to the Lower Owens River. There have also been lots of stories about William Mulholland, the engineer from Los Angeles that came up with the plan to take water from the Owens Valley.

I’ve always had an interest in this part of California’s history. When I was younger, dad would take us north along highway 395, through the Owens Valley on our way to Lake Tahoe for vacations, or we would take that same road at other times of the year to go fishing in the Sierra’s near Bridgeport. Dad would tell us stories about the water and the Owens Valley “War” as we traveled. I would guess that I made that trip through the Owens Valley at least a hundred times and each time I would try and picture the orchards that used to fill the valley. That was hard to do, as the only thing you could see from the car window was a desert vista.

I also used to go hunting in the foothills of the Sierra’s, just to the west of China Lake and below Owens Peak. There, we would cross over the buried aqueduct many times as we searched for quail. And once again, except for the Department of Water and Power “No Trespassing” signs, there was only desert to be seen.  

Of course I was impressed by the scope of the water project. As you headed out of the San Fernando Valley, you would always look for the foaming cascade of water coming down the steep side of the mountain near the highway and into the reservoir. Then there was the huge Jawbone Canyon Siphon that would take the water down and then up out of the canyon. For hundreds of miles you could see the aqueduct or signs of its underground presence.

But what I find interesting in the latest stories is the absence of any stories that detail how much land Mr. Mulholland and his supporters owned in the San Fernando Valley. Land that was worthless without water. And how convenient it was that the first stop for that water in its journey south was the San Fernando Valley.

Speaking of orchards, as I was…I think I will add some varieties of citrus reticulata to our orchard. That’s Latin for Mandarins and Tangerines. I do love them! We have only one Mandarin tree and this year’s crop was disappointing; only half a dozen oranges were found on it. They were good, but six won’t go far. Now I need to ask my oldest daughter which varieties to buy. I looked on-line for a catalog but have been unsuccessful so far.

OK, Dave Wilson Nurseries came through…oddly enough they don’t sell citrus trees but they have great resources to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment