Monday, January 22, 2007

Interesting. Whenever I am in Chico to pick up the books from the library (We sort them and they go into the semi-annual Orland Friends of the Library Book Sale) I always go through them to see if there is anything interesting to read. And a few weeks ago I found an old book on yoga, “Relax with Yoga” by Arthur Liebers and published in 1960. I began to read it and now I’m interested. It seems to me that yoga would be good as an anti-aging therapy. I imagine that Tai-Chi serves the same purpose. The yoga looks challenging, more challenging than Tai Chi, and I have to wonder if I can get these older joints of mine to move into some of those positions?

From what I read, the mental state achieved through yoga might be more important than any flexibility. The author describes “retreats” or Ashrams where you can obtain spiritual relaxation. I have been to many so called retreats with the various churches I have attended and they all seem to have the same theme; an hour or so of lecture and then lots of free time where all are encouraged to play basketball or ride bikes… just do something! (It’s the American Way!) And I’ve always been disappointed by the fact that no “retreat” ever takes place in an atmosphere like this. I always vow to never go back, but then the promise of a new “retreat” lures me once again. I’m always hoping it will be different.

I just checked out the first pose and I think I can do it… the Stitha-Prarthanasana, or Prayer Pose. Yes, no pain at all!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 AM

    If you would ever like someone to join you on a yoga retreat...I'm your girl! Let me know if you need any tips on some of the more challenging (not hard, just
    challenging!) yoga poses.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 AM

    Thanks for the encouragement...

    Ouch! I just tried Padmasana. I can't get my knees to within a foot of the floor! In fact, I may never be the same again.

    Now, Ekapadasana looks do-able. And it obviously works on core strengthening, a necessary item for Seniors

    ReplyDelete