Saturday, February 24, 2007

And Justice For All

I was scanning the headlines when I ran across this one, Better Pay for Judges Capable, independent and impartial judges are essential to the workings of American democracy.”

Of course I had to think about what a juror is paid these days. And then compare that to what the rest of the people in the courtroom are being paid. I know; jurors aren’t in the courtroom for money, but for justice. It’s our civic duty, etc. But did you know that the jury system is not universal throughout the world? It’s very much an American thing. And how good is it? If it is such a good thing, why aren’t more countries using it? And since we don't pay jurors very much, we really can't expect much from them. After all; what's the downside of being "fired" from jury duty?

After reading about the case of Julie Amero and her conviction, by a jury of her peers? I’m absolutely certain that I don’t want to be judged by dimwits like that! If I’m going to be judged, I want the best and the brightest, not the average. I’ve seen the average and they scare me!

I would support an overhaul of the justice system; getting rid of the elected justices (And juries) and replacing them with a well paid cadre of appointed judges. Those appointments valid only as long as the judge passes a yearly performance review by a panel of retired justices. And that reviewing panel must come from a geographical location far distant from that of the reviewed. Remove all possibilities of partisanship. Salaries would be based on the quality of the judgments and not the quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment