Tuesday, February 27, 2007

PG and What?

Frustrating. There’s nothing like a power outage to remind you how dependent you are on the steady flow of electricity. I could probably cope better if I had some advance notice…but no; the power always goes off when least expected. We were watching The Da Vinci Code when the power failed and I should have taken advantage of that moment and told myself that there was no sense in watching it when the power returned. That had to be one of the worst movies of all time. The power outage lasted about 30 minutes and then, like robots, we returned to the movie and watched it all of the way to the end. Did we really think it would get better?

I suppose we should invest in some sort of lantern that would allow us to read or to play a game of cards while waiting for the power to return. A flashlight just doesn’t cut it as a good reading light. Candles are frustrating; the light flickering. A generator would be even better; hardwired into the electrical panel. But that would be a pretty expensive method for dealing with short term temporary power loss. Hmm, I wonder; how much?

And it looks like I should be looking at a UPS system for the computers. The power stuttered twice about an hour before it went out for good and each time I was doing something with the computer when it failed. Apparently all is well. I haven’t noticed any corrupted files and all of my usual programs have started up normally. But I shouldn’t depend on good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment