Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Decisions

Did it rain last night? Too dark to tell. But I see that the forecast still calls for rain today, including some thunderstorms. Even with rain and thunder, it’s been warm enough to be wearing shorts and that’s my kind of weather.


I sanded a piece of the black walnut that I bought the other day and it has a great color beneath the gray patina created by being exposed to the elements. I think a Tung oil finish will make it shine! And it’s definitely a hard wood; close grained and dense. That reminds me of our conversation with the artist that sold us the wood; he was describing the house he had built. It’s all slumped block construction with a red tile roof. The floors are all stone or tile and he made the comment that he thinks that carpets are probably a good source for the pathogens that can sicken us; so he avoided them altogether. He might be right about the carpet; the density of tile and stone makes it difficult for ‘critters’ to live in it, while carpet is filled with plenty of space for them to grow. And of course the tile makes a great cool floor for the summer.


It’s certainly something to think about when it comes time to replace the carpeting in this house. Hardwood floors or tile? Or a combination, including some carpet?


And apropos of nothing at all; I was talking to some friends about duck eggs and how much I enjoyed them when I was much younger and living the country life in Colton, CA. Of course I haven’t seen a duck egg in years so I Googled ‘duck eggs’ and came up with a site that ships them. Sounded good until I saw the price. $49 for 18 eggs! OK, I like the eggs, but not that much. Let’s see, a 3 egg omelet would cost about $8.16. (some pictures of duck eggs...what's with the pyramid?)


OK, I just checked and it is raining or has rained; either way, the ground is all wet and so the fact that I got the fertilizer spread out in the orchard yesterday is a good thing!


And that reminds me that I should get a couple or three more trees for the orchard. I’m replacing older trees by planting the new ones in between the old ones. 3 or 4 years from now, I can cut down the old trees and start the process all over again. But what kind of trees? Peach, yes. Apple, no. Rainier cherry? Yes. Nectarine? Plum? Decisions!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:08 AM

    That wood is beautiful. It should make nice cruicifix's, if that's what you are going to do. I love the colors in the wood. The duck eggs, by the way, are disgusting! Especially the price.

    ReplyDelete