Thursday, March 22, 2007

Memories

The wind is dying down and the temperature is going back up. Just another spring day ahead of us.

I see that the “Homepage” wars are heating up as well. I used a My Yahoo page for many years and had it customized as much as possible. Then Google grabbed me 3 or 4 months ago because I could do so much more with it. But I would go back to My Yahoo every once in awhile to see what was new and this morning I saw that they were offering a “beta” version of a new homepage. I went for it and I like its looks so far. But…yesterday, Google was offering new themes for their product. Decisions, decisions!

Of course this all evokes memories for me and now I’m trying to remember the homepage I used to use in the early and mid 90’s? Ah! Yes, it was AltaVista. I do believe that they were among the first in search engine development, but they are no longer among the leaders in the homepage race.

I just searched through my journals and I see that it was October of 1994 when I officially left my position at PCI as a construction superintendent/estimator/project manager and began working there as a full time geek. An IT/instructor kind of person. The Help Desk guy. I don’t think Yahoo was even around at that time? I know Google wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment