Saturday, March 31, 2007

More History

Yes, I finished the book, All Governments Lie! by Myra McPherson. A biography of I.F. Stone. It’s definitely worth reading if you’re interested in history at all. It’s well documented of course. That was one of his trademarks. I’m afraid there aren’t many reporters like Izzy anymore.

I picked up a new book at the library, another history book (You need to read history books if you want to know the future!), Moscow 1941: A City And its People at War. “…this is really a compilation of stories about how Moscow and its citizens dealt with the war and the threat of the approaching German armies.”

So far so good. And I was reminded of a man I once knew when I was working in Los Angeles. I knew him as Art, the taper, but he was a Russian immigrant and had another name, a very Russian name. He had been a soldier defending Moscow during this time and was captured by the Germans. (That was his good luck) The stories he told us! They all seem to come to life once more as I read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment