Friday, March 16, 2007

Sprung

The month is half gone already. And it looks like spring everywhere you look. Blossoms are flying from the trees in a blizzard of pink and white. As I was driving home yesterday, I spotted a man wearing shorts and walking through a sudden flurry of white blossoms. Looked just like snow!

I finished the book, Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World, by Mark Kurlansky. I wish I could say it had a happy ending, but it didn’t and it can only get worse. Cod, which once ruled the world’s economy, (it really did!) is gone for all practical purposes. Nature, which abhors a vacuum, has already filled the void left by the disappearance of the cod. The book doesn’t preach conservation; it doesn’t have to. The facts are simply presented and you can reach your own conclusions.

Now I can get on with the next book, All Governments Lie! by Myra McPherson. A biography of I.F. Stone. I remembered him from the 60’s as he was a great defender of the anti-war movement.

The news this morning is just more of the same …same as yesterday. But I did notice this little clip and thought it was funny. It's not that I care if "Scooter" Libby gets pardoned. Sure, he obstructed justice, but putting someone named “Scooter” in jail seems a little harsh. Putting someone named “Scooter” in elementary school seems a little harsh.”

I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I would have wanted someone named “Scooter” working for me. I would have to question his competence.

No comments:

Post a Comment