Friday, April 20, 2007

Small cross

I have completed my first project with the Black Walnut pieces I bought awhile ago. It was small and simple because I wanted to see how the wood works with different finishes. The piece is only 3.5”x7.5” and with a polyurethane matte finish. You can see that the finish doesn’t do well on the end grains. The copper strips turned out OK, though I need a better way of making straight ones. It took me 3 tries to get the (almost) right size. The copper is glued down with contact cement and that means I need to be careful and not get it on the wood. The next project will be done with a dado blade or a router for a smoother cut. And a Tung Oil finish.


I have always been fascinated by the shape of the cross, or crucifix. And not just for religious reasons. The shape and its many variations seem to be one that humans have used throughout history. Folk art is a great place to see its use...

2 comments:

  1. Good start! Glad you will continue. I like the simple design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have some great pieces of wood to work with, mostly Black Walnut but some American Oak...and some quite large. And it looks like I need to buy a planer for some of them. Quite rough as well.

    ReplyDelete