Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gotta Go

Gotta get some groceries. The cupboards are looking bare and I can see empty spaces on the refrigerator shelves. With the sudden reversal of fortunes in the stock market, yesterday, I guess we can afford it now. Does this mean there is an upward trend in consumer confidence? I don’t suppose our one trip to the market really means a lot, statistically. But, we can hope.

Speaking of good things; we saw a very good movie last night. The Illusionist. Starring ‘unknowns’. (OK, unknown to us) A most delightful film! We had watched Zoom: Academy for Superheroes a few nights before and felt that we had been ripped off. What a disaster that movie had been. We had been looking for something ‘light’ and had fallen for the hype in the trailer. I felt as if the ‘stars’ had deceived us. Ugly. But now…The Illusionist has restored our faith in cinema. There are some good films; not many, but certainly enough to warrant the cost of our membership with Netflix.

And as I was on the Netflix website this morning, registering my displeasure with Zoom, I ran across the View Now page that allows you to download movies to your PC. And right there, in the upper right hand corner of the screen, was the warning that my browser was inadequate for the job and I wouldn’t be allowed to download a movie. I must be using IE 6 or higher. What? Firefox is far superior when compared to IE. What are these people thinking?


Yes, the internet and computers are frustrating at times. I suppose it is because I used to spend so much time working with programmers in application development. (In my previous life.) We would see something that needed ‘fixing’ in an app and it would happen. Now, when I see things that need fixing, I can only shake my head and sigh. Sigh.


Thought: I’m sure my sister can relate to that, as she works in the field of application development. Wouldn’t it be great if you could make your own changes to your own apps? Not just the Tools/Options changes, but deeper than that. But the rule is...programmers don't trust users.

No comments:

Post a Comment