Thursday, August 23, 2007

Readers

........Wow! Dreams… they kept me asleep all night long. Heavy duty dreams that have me tired out just thinking about them, now. But what were they all about? I can’t remember a single one. I wish there was a Tivo for your brain. I joke now, but somewhere, someone is working on that idea.

An odd fact was heard yesterday; 25% of adults did not read a book last year. 1 in 4. Now that’s scary. The results for those adults that read just one book were not given. One book. One year. Maybe another 25%?

You can’t blame the internet for that dismal figure of 25%, though it’s the favorite whipping boy for librarians. It’s television. I use the internet enough to count as 4 people and I still make a trip to the library once every two weeks to restock on books. When television was part of our life, I rarely found the time to read. I was sound asleep in front of the tube.

Television isn’t evil; it’s just a distraction for people like me. If we had a decent connection, I would be falling asleep in front of it once again. And kicking myself for it.

Anyway, the source of the odd fact above was an NPR story on the rise in popularity of the book on CD or tape. (Tape is so 20th century) I’m tempted to check some of them out. The library has a small collection of them. But, I heard two or three comments about the fact that the choice of ‘reader’ of the book is just as important as the title itself. Bad reader=bad book. I wouldn’t want to buy a great book and then have the ‘reader’ spoil it for me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM

    We do books on cd for long road trips and the reader is really important. Without the right rhythm you cannot concentrate. It takes a few minutes to catch this rhythm and you can be off somewhere else. Now thinking about it how dangerous is that while driving? The book also needs to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete