Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Tale of Coffee

I just posted a 'clean hospital' story a few minutes ago. And right after that I was in the car and headed to the canal to open the irrigation flood gates. But, on the way back, I thought some more about that story and I don’t think it’s a ‘hospital’ story as much as it’s a story of our society in general. For instance, my long running feud/irritation with Starbuck’s is all about the cleanliness of the stores; or that is where it began. The Starbuck’s closest to our house in Roseville was filthy. Oh, it looked fine as long as you kept your eyes focused straight ahead and never looked up or down. But, being an old construction guy, I had to look everywhere. And it was dirty everywhere else. And it’s the same in every one of their stores. I wrote to the corporate headquarters and was told that cleanliness was high on their list of priorities and I could be assured that the matter would be corrected. Of course it wasn’t.

And it doesn’t end with Starbuck’s. The same conditions exist in almost all retail establishments. Take a look for yourself. And then ask; is this because of the fact that ‘bottom liner's’ rule? That bookkeepers have more power than janitors?

I’m certainly not a neat freak and you will always find dust in our house, but there is a difference; I don’t ask you to pay money to stay in my house and I won’t charge you for a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment