Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Getting Old or Getting Better

I was a little surprised at how easily fatigued I became yesterday as I was moving the pots. I really need to get back in shape and weight lifting should be part of that regimen. I know that I’m (apparently) in better shape than about 75% of those that are my age, but it is something that can be lost very quickly.

And speaking of that; I was getting some new glasses at Lenscrafters yesterday and the salesman made the comment that he thought I looked quite young and fit for someone who was 67. Was he just trying to sell me more expensive frames? That had to be part of the reason. But, to be truthful, I think I do look younger than most men that are my age. OK, maybe half. Genetics has a lot to do with it, but attitude has something to do with it as well. You have to make sure you don’t get into a rut and you need to welcome changes. I’ve seen too many people that seem to ‘practice’ becoming old at an early age, as if it were a goal to be met.

Now that I read Time Goes By on a regular basis, I see more instances of age discrimination. I’m certainly more aware of it. What’s with that? Is it denial by the discriminators? We all age, but for those who practice age discrimination it can’t come soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 PM

    You DO NOT look your age...and I can only hope genetics and my activity level prevail for my own "looks". Youth is in the mind and attitude...you and your sisters all had/have youthful attitudes...and none of you seem very far from where I am in numbers...Julie had an adventurous spirit and intelligent nature that kept her young, Kitty has her creative side and wit/wisdom that keeps her always the younger...and you Dad...you have it all!!! The older sibling of course gets it all...and what ever is excess trickles down....HAHAHAHAHA..JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:12 AM

    You're too kind, Dotta. And you are correct. 'Looks' need to be dismissed as a way of gauging a persons age. It's attitude, attitude, attitude!

    As you know, we have a friend that is 83. She heads up half a dozen committees, is chairman of the board of the Glenn County Seniors, president of the Capay Women's club, past mayor of Orland (she still attends all council meetings)She writes a weekly column for the local newspaper, etc, etc. High on her list of things to do is to drive her own car someday. Did I mention that she's blind? So we hope to use the fairground parking lot for her driving experience.

    That's what I mean by attitude.

    ReplyDelete