Saturday, September 22, 2007

High Beams

We made it safely to Susanville late last night, arriving about 8:30. The only danger we faced was the possibility of hitting a deer or two along the way. We had stopped in Chester to have a burger and in that short time, darkness fell just as we were about to enter prime deer migration areas...

As a reminder of just how much has changed since retiring, I realized that it had been years since I had last driven in the dark while navigating deer country. Whoa! It's really dark out there.

Naturally I wanted a lot of light on the road, but the oncoming traffic kept me switching back to low beams every few seconds. That was when I decided that I really didn't like the steering column mounted switching device... what was wrong with the dimmer switch being mounted on the floor? My hands are busy enough; I don't need to be searching for the dimmer when I should be steering. And my left foot has absolutely nothing to do these days. It could be gainfully employed in headlight management. So who was responsible for moving the switch from the floor to the steering column? Let me guess; a government agency?

As it turned out, we never saw any jaywalking deer, probably because of the great number of hunters that were settling in for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. My first car, a 1989 Jeep CJ-7, had the highbeams control on the floor, just to the left of my left foot. Very convenient when you are navigating a 5-speed with no power steering (you can't take you hands off of the wheel for a second). My new Jeep is much different, but then, it also has leather seats and carpeting...

    ReplyDelete