Wednesday, September 26, 2007

In the dark

Stumbling. No, not the website. I was actually stumbling. This is irrigation day and so I grabbed my trusty flashlight and headed out to the orchard to open the floodgates in preparation for the water to come. Then it was a quick drive around the block to the path that leads to the main valve and then up to the canal. Except…my trusty flashlight was back in the garage. Sitting on the shelf next to where I park the car. Darn! There was full moon, so I decided to trust my memory to avoid the larger holes and hoped that my eyes would soon adjust to the darkness. And I had a shovel to wave around in front of me to ward off the larger spider webs.

OK. Mission accomplished; and with only a little bit of stumbling. But, I really need to keep a flashlight in that car.

As I made my way back to the house, I spotted some people walking along the highway, in the dark, and then I saw that there was an overturned truck just past Road P. No police had arrived yet but there was tow truck on the scene. Now, I’m listening to the scanner and it’s apparently an empty garbage truck and no one was hurt. But, they do need a bigger tow truck. The scanner isn’t telling me the whole story; I will probably need the local grapevine to get the details.

2 comments:

  1. You have such excitment all around you!....Yesterday I was going to suggest you move somewhere where you get faster speed - But I have a feeling you'd be bored anywhere else!....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Oh, yes...so exciting. The garbage truck is now parked in front of our house, hoisted into the air while they get it ready to be towed. And of course it is our garbage truck, which means the garbage won't be picked up today. Chaos reigns.

    ReplyDelete