Sunday, September 30, 2007

Making it simply complicated

This is it. There is no more. The last day of the month and with the passing of September, all possible links to summer are gone. It ain’t coming back, folks! Not this year.

The ceiling fans were inspected and cleaned yesterday and then I set them to spin in reverse of their summer settings, in preparation for the day when I have to use them to circulate a little heat from the wood stove. The other fans were put away in the attic, not to be seen (or heard) again till sometime in June.

I certainly don’t miss the roar of the fans. I set them up to blast out the warm and stale overnight air and bring in the fresh, cool air of morning. I would start them early and they would run for about 3 hours or until I no longer saw the interior temperature dropping. Then I would shut off the fans and close the windows. Our barrier against the heat and high power bills.

I’ve always been a fan of open windows, and summers make that option close to impossible, but fall will allow me to keep some windows open during the day. Especially here in the study, where the combined electronics can raise the temperature. In the morning, when I first come in the room, I see little green and blue lights everywhere! Indicators that power is on to the computers (2), printers (2), monitors (2), hubs, scanner, switches, routers, etc, etc.

This brings to mind the feature, Where We Blog on Time Goes By. There aren’t a lot of photos posted yet, but I’m already seeing a trend. Flat screen monitors are everywhere. Laptops are in the majority. And I can already spot a New England bloggers haven by the darker woods and the dignified look of the room.

It would be interesting to find out who in this group of bloggers is using Apple, versus PC. And who is using Vista. I’ve already been warned by my sister that Vista is a bad choice if you are a serious computer user, and she is. I understand it’s like XP Home, only dumbed down. I always try to use the ‘professional’ version of any Microsoft system, but I haven’t heard that there is one for Vista? I’m really stuck between two worlds here. I loved the DOS world where I could create and run batch files and make the computer do what I wanted. But I love the ‘gee whiz’ features of the latest and greatest from Microsoft. It’s simple. I want them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment