Friday, October 26, 2007

Coffee...Tea?

Health is on my mind once again. I went in to give my usual quarterly pint of blood at the blood drive yesterday and was surprised when the nurse took my pulse and then said that he would have to consult someone higher up before allowing the donation because my pulse was ‘irregular’. And of course I remembered that during my physical on Monday, the doctor had remarked that my pulse was irregular. He termed it a ‘false Arrhythmia’ and didn’t seem at all concerned. Asked me how much coffee I had consumed that morning? 3 cups. Caffeine, he said. Yes, another doctor, some 6 or 7 years ago had noted the same thing and scheduled me for an ECG and a Stress test. All were passed with no problems noted. Probably genetic. And caffeine. Darn! (And yes, they allowed the donation.)

No, no one has told me to stop drinking coffee and any increase in exercise will produce Arrhythmia. I keep telling myself. But the most powerful organ in your body? The mind. Must. Think. Positively. And perhaps I should switch to tea… (40 mg versus 105 mg)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 PM

    Funny thing - the word verification to publish this comment is "oTEAq". It's a sign!

    Anyway, tea is great. I love tea. Can't stand the caffine in coffee, makes me too jittery. If you really want to get into the healthy-morning-beverage thing, green tea is where it's at with all the antioxidants and such. Zach also likes Yerba Mate.

    I've been told I have a harmless irregular heartbeat as well, gig the EKG, everything is ok, apparently. But it's disconcerting to hear, no matter how benign they make it sound.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about Mate (Yerba Mate) It contains a chemical ingredient similar to Caffeine, named Matteine (sp?) The US Army experimented with it long ago, looking for a stimulant to replace coffee.

    I used to drink Mate many years ago, but finding a supply was next to impossible back then.

    A good friend of mine was from Uruguay and he gave me a Mate (the cup) and two Bombillas (silver straws) to use while drinking mate. I think they are still around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benign..."Your heart isn't beating as it should be. Don't worry about it." Hah! Fat chance!

    This morning I forgot and made the coffee as usual. I guess I had better put a Post-It on the coffee pot to remind me.

    And yesterday, at cal-Java, I ordered an Oregon Chai to sip while I read.

    ReplyDelete