Thursday, October 25, 2007

Subsidies=Welfare

I didn't forget my tape recorder this morning and so I was able to recall some of the thoughts that had careened through my mind while walking this morning.

And one of those was a reminder to check out NPR for the story on 'Red State Welfare'. A story about the current farm bill and the subsidies that it finances.

What I found amazing in the story was the fact that millions of dollars in farm subsidies are sent to 'farmers' with a New York City Zip code. It's the same in all large urban areas. Millions of dollars going to 'farmers' who seem to live far away from their fields. It must take them hours to get the morning milking done! And it's probably difficult to get that combine down Wilshire Blvd. during the rush hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment