Sunday, November 18, 2007

Repeating Myself

The CN&R has another controversial column by Mr. Porter. I can hardly wait to read the reactions to it. I wonder if there is a blog for his work? I suppose I could look… Ok, no blog but he does have a web page full of links.

In that column, he makes this observation, “…my being born in Chicago at the end of 1945 was pure chance as far as I'm concerned.” Now that is another thing that Mr. Porter and I agree on. Being born in America does not give us any right to be proud of that fact. Pride is something you can legitimately feel only when you have a part in the action that causes the pride. Do well on a test? Sure, you can be proud. The team you played on finished in first place? Feel the pride! You’re not a member of that team? Get outta here!

It’s the same with citizens. Born here? You did nothing at all to make yourself proud about that. But, did you emigrate and then take a citizenship test after many years of waiting? You can be proud!

Yes, when it comes to America and patriotism… I can only tell you that I’m darn lucky to have been born here. Blessed beyond belief. But ‘proud’ of it? Not.

I can tell you that I'm proud of the time I spent in the Navy. I did that. I'm proud of the fact that I've never missed voting in an election. I did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment