Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Reporting for duty

It’s over. And I can’t believe that I’m contemplating going shopping this morning. No, not at 6 AM; I haven’t lost my mind completely. But, with our time extension for the celebration of ‘family’ Christmas, it does make sense to do some shopping for that last minute, last minute gift at low sale prices.

We’ve done a drawing for names among the adults and now I have just one person to secure a gift for. It should be easy. Gifts for the grandchildren and great grandchild are already secured and wrapped, so that part is over. And since we no longer buy for each other, we’re looking for that special gift for the two of us, the gift that says ‘I love you’ in a way that can only be expressed after many years of marriage… a new vacuum cleaner.

This whole shopping thing is very strange. Am I expected to believe that an important segment, a cornerstone, of our economy will fail, if at the end of a 2 month advertising blitz we don’t buy enough? Giant corporations will close their doors if we don’t buy enough Christmas presents? What kind of business operates that way? Oh, sure I can see the mistletoe vendors being in jeopardy, but Target? Wal*Mart? What would happen if automobiles were marketed this way and they had to make their profits in November and December; the assembly lines dark and empty during the other ten months. I don’t think so. And now the mall merchants are slashing prices by 75%. Are we supposed to believe that they are giving the merchandise away just so they can have customers in to see their pretty store and say hello? Please!

But, who am I? Obviously the retailers know what they are doing and from all I’ve read, our economy has been saved once again in December by a valiant army of shoppers. I’m just doing my part. ‘Wallet Patriotism’.

No comments:

Post a Comment