Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vote For Elizabeth

The day begins just like every other day. Make the coffee and let the cat in. Then it’s time for the weather report (44°, partly cloudy with a 90% chance of rain) followed by a review of the email. Coffee is ready. Back to the mail and the RSS feeds. Once I have determined that the world is still in its appointed orbit and has not self destructed overnight, I open my journal and write.

Let’s see…yesterday we had to see our accountant (tax time) and while I was there, I asked her about the possibility of a refund; the refund that is supposed to fix our ailing economy. She didn’t know the details yet, but as she understood it, the money will come from your own refund in the year 2009. It’s simply borrowing ahead from your refund money. And you won’t be able to refuse it. So the smart thing to do is to place it somewhere safe and let it collect some interest. This is not what the government wants you to do. They want you to spend it…now! At Best Buy.

Writing about taxes reminded me of the story about the California financial disaster and idiotic attempt to fix it by cutting expenses ‘across the board’ as Arnold wants to do. Think about it; if this were your own budget, would you cut every expense by the same amount? Duh! Of course not. You would prioritize. You would determine what was necessary and what was not. You would THINK about it. I know that’s asking a lot of our governor, but with some help, he could do it.

And that story reminded me of Elizabeth Hill, the Legislative Analyst. And I think it’s time we drafted her to run our state for us. For years, we have trusted her to tell us the truth about the cost of bills and referendums. She tells the governor and the legislators what their schemes and dreams will really cost. (not that they pay attention) So let’s cut out the middle men and get rid of the lawmakers and the governor. Let Elizabeth run things! Heck, she should be President!

Apparently I wasn’t the only one thinking of Elizabeth Hill. When I Googled her name I came up with this article. Right on.

(From the article..."And she recommended scuttling the yacht tax loophole that Assembly Republicans just won't give up") You see, the Republicans are there to defend the 'common man' and his yacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment