Friday, March 28, 2008

Adjustments

We’re adjusting our schedules today. Sometime; don’t know when…we will be getting a new water heater. The water heater that serves the bathrooms and showers gave out after 19 years. But AHS will be taking care of it, minus the $55 service fee. And AHS makes it easy to use; I simply log-on to their website and choose my current ‘disaster’. I fill out a few text boxes and an appointment is made for that day or the next. No phone calls! No press #2 for English. So far, we’re ahead in this insurance game and we hope to keep it that way.

No, I’m not a salesman for AHS and a couple of years ago I wouldn’t have considered this kind of insurance. But now I’m all for it. I’m not spending my day shopping for a new water heater; getting a permit. Don’t forget the seismic straps and the insulation kit! And then there’s the removal and disposal of the old heater. Unless you want to turn that old tank into a barbecue, as I did one time, long ago. (Split the tank sideways, add some hinges and you have a glass lined barbecue)

Here’s some headlines that caught my attention.

AP - Defense Secretary Robert Gates has ordered a full inventory of all nuclear weapons and related materials after the mistaken delivery of ballistic missile fuses to Taiwan, the Pentagon said Thursday.

One would assume that inventories of nuclear weapons would ALWAYS be current. But that’s the problem with ‘assuming’ when the government is in charge.

Governor's inconsistencies may overshadow his accomplishments

By Michael Rothfeld

Schwarzenegger prides himself on striking compromises to get things done. But some critics say his principles are getting lost in the process.

Principles? C’mon! He’s a politician. Would he recognize one if he saw it?

Head of University of Texas is hired as UC president

By Larry Gordon

Mark G. Yudof wins unanimous approval -- and annual compensation of $828,084, which triggers some protests.

I doubt that it was Mr. Yudof doing the protesting. But, hey! These are hard times and sacrifices must be made. We simply can’t pay him the million he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment