Sunday, April 27, 2008

Books and More Books

The book sale is over. Preliminary reports indicate that the Friends of the Library made about $3,600 and that could be a record. And at 50 cents a book, that’s a lot of books! They’re even cheaper on Saturday when we sell them at $2 a bag.

Speaking of books, as I was; I mentioned the other day that I had read the book, The Thing about Life Is That One Day You'll Be Dead by David Shields. It’s one of those books that I will read again just to get the facts straight. And it might be a good book for those under the age of 50 to read. That’ll make them less snotty about elders! Of course I would edit the book first, just to remove all of the endless stories of the author’s basketball skills as a young man. To be truthful, I wish his 97 year old father had written the book. He seems more likeable. But…the facts that he recites are fascinating and that’s what makes it such an interesting read.

Yes, I thought about John McCain after reading this book, and if all of the facts about aging are correct, (Why would the author lie?) he really shouldn’t be running for president. Especially true if Huckabee ends up as the VP candidate. Just as we have a right to a trial by a jury of our peers, we should be lead by one of our peers your peers. McCain is one of my peers and unless he changes his rhetoric, he is a supporter of the status quo; the favorite position of far too many elders. And as the election draws closer, McCain, unlike the author, may find reason to lie and to seemingly embrace change.

No comments:

Post a Comment