Thursday, May 22, 2008

Class Wars

Another very windy morning, though the promise of calmer weather is in the forecast for later tonight. It’s very tiring. Funny; rain is peaceful and so is fog. Snow is also calming. Storms, with wind, are exciting. But plain old wind? It tires you out!

The funniest news out there this morning is the American Airlines decision to charge $$ for checking your luggage. I am so glad that I’m no longer one of those flying businessmen. Back in the day when I was a traveling techie, I had to check my bags because of all of the electronics I carried. If I didn’t check them, it would take forever for TSA to deal with them. “Sir. What is this?” “That’s a mouse.” “Will you please turn it on?” “Umm…it doesn’t turn on.” “Sir. Are you being difficult?”

Being a ‘checker’ of luggage, I had to endure countless hours of waiting for the clueless people who used carry-on luggage. Waiting while they tried vainly to cram 16” bags into a 14” space. And of course there was the ever present danger of being hit by the bags that were coming back out of the overhead bins at the end of the flight. Everyone is in a hurry and the largest carry-on’s were always the property of the smallest passengers, making extraction problematic. “Oops! Sorry about that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment