Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's the pits

Time, once again, to irrigate the orchard. And speaking of orchards and crops and all of that…we seem to be blessed with some abundance again this year. We have picked cherries and taken about 30 pounds just from the low branches of the one tree; the ones we can reach from the ground. Once we start using a ladder, there will be even more. I’m not sure why the birds weren’t taking them as they have in years past, but I’m grateful. Pickling cherries is on my list of things to do...

Apricots, peaches, apples, nectarines, walnuts and pomegranates are plentiful as well. I have to keep stripping the developing fruit from the overly laden branches before they break off. Plums and pears are the only fruit that are in short supply this year (Again) and I’m about ready to give up on those trees and plant some new ones. Maybe more cherries? The yellow Rainier’s would be a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment