Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Times Are Changing

Odd. You know it used to be that the shopper for a new car, the male shopper, would ask for the location of the hood latch. Even before sitting in the car. Viewing the engine and passing judgment on it was probably the most important task he had to perform. It mattered not that there was nothing in the engine compartment that he could fix on his own and he only needed to know where the dipstick was located. Surprisingly, this time I forgot to do any of that! So, two days later, I found the hood latch and opened the hood. Jeekers! What is all of that stuff? I couldn’t even see the garage floor through all of the machinery and plastic that was stuffed in there. And I’m a guy that has rebuilt entire engines by myself. Honest…

2 comments:

  1. years ago I had a 73 Toyota Corolla and the automatic choke was causing it to be hard to start. I held the butterfly valve open with a screw driver while I started the engine and voila!

    Years later when my daughter's car was acting the same way I got out my trusty screwdriver, popped the hood, and I might as well have been looking under the hood of the Millenial Falcon. I recognized nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes...and I believe that there was probably enough room to climb in under the hood and stand next to a 6 cylinder engine in, let's say...a 51 Chevy. Of course I was young and skinny at the time.

    ReplyDelete