Friday, May 30, 2008

Dinner Time

We went out for dinner last night on the Planet Orland and were very pleasantly surprised. A new restaurant has opened on the west side of I-5 at the Highway 32 exit. It’s the City Gates restaurant and they specialize in Portuguese food. If you live on the Planet Orland, that’s pronounced ‘Port a gee’. My first test for a new restaurant went well; I asked if they served O’Doul’s. No, but they had a Portuguese non-alcoholic beer! Would I like to try it? Of course…

I quickly had a bottle of Jansen to enjoy and an abbreviated menu. Abbreviated because the restaurant is in its first few weeks and their suppliers are not coming through with all that they require. But, we saw the whole menu and we are looking forward to trying some of the items on it. Lamb chops!

And it’s a nice looking place. New, of course, but pleasantly decorated and heavenly quiet! There is something to be said about dining while using glasses, utensils and dishes that haven’t gone through the dishwasher for the millionth time. Plus, we took a look at their desserts and those will be tried one of these nights as well. Did I mention that they also do breakfast and lunch?

But, as good as the meal was, I’m worried. Worried that they might not make it. The sign along the freeway is too small to see at 70 mph and the entrance to the restaurant is also small. Deceiving. They need a freeway sign in Willows and one in Corning. I’m not a big fan of signs, but I’m a fan of good restaurants and I hate to see one fail.

4 comments:

  1. Just curious. Why do you drink non-alcoholic beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! It's that question...and I'm sure that some waitresses have wondered about my drink preferences as well, but I did bring it up, didn't I? It's because I'm an alcoholic and the beer isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. I guess I'm too inquisitive.

    ReplyDelete