Monday, August 25, 2008

Speaking...

of encyclopedias; do they still publish and sell them? Apparently the World Book Encyclopedia is still going strong. And still available in print form. I Googled ‘encyclopedia’ and found a gazillion on-line encyclopedias. That’s all well and good, but if you want to fascinate and stimulate a young mind, an encyclopedia that can be opened and held is the best choice.

Logic will tell you that a printed encyclopedia is a waste of money and paper, as the information is so quickly outdated, but if that heavy book of facts and photos stimulates a young mind to want to know more and to love reading, well that’s money well spent.

My parent’s bought the Britannica and I loved every volume in it. If I couldn’t play outside for some reason, I only had to open a random volume to be transported to some fascinating locale. A = Amazon! B = Belize! C = China!

So why didn’t we, as young parents, do the same as our parents and buy a set? I guess we thought we were too modern for that old stuff like encyclopedias.

No comments:

Post a Comment