Sunday, August 31, 2008

This Morning

I’ve taken the time to listen to the acceptance speech of Senator Obama. And I will do the same for Senator McCain. And right now, I’m thinking that the Democrats have a winner, although I’m not ready to rejoin the party; I’m not stupid! I just happen to be one of the cynics that the Senator mentions in his speech. Also, I have decided to support the Obama candidacy with some cash. Something I haven’t done in years!

The speech, to be critical, was all politics and filled with promises that no candidate can keep. He has a style that most politicians would die for, a natural ‘believability’, he actually sounds as if he means what he says. And it’s a pleasant voice. I’m already looking forward to a new year, 2009, without that terrible droning noise coming from Bush/Cheney and Co. Even McCain’s whining is better than the Yale/Crawford drawl.

And the new year will also mean that the book that I’ve been reading, such as The Dark Side by Jane Mayer, will be less and less relevant. They will become history books and no longer be current affairs. Not that these books shouldn’t be valued; no, they should be read to make certain we don’t go down those same roads again.

No comments:

Post a Comment