Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What Do You Say?

Superlatives come to mind but I can't decide on which one to use. I do know that I 'feel' lighter. And that's a good thing. I also know we'll never be able to re-create the feeling that swept over us last night; the night that Senator Obama won. Now it's over and the hard work begins.

But… I can't help but take the time this morning to remember the early morning in 1960 when I arrived in Jacksonville, North Carolina. I was in the Navy; just out of boot camp and Hospital Corps School and on my way to Camp Lejeune to begin my work there. I stepped into the bus depot to get a ticket for the local bus that went to the Marine Corps base. Once inside, I suddenly realized that there were two identical bus stations under one roof with a low wall separating them. One was for 'Colored'. And outside, along the wall, there were two drinking fountains, side by side. In 1960, that was 'normal' in North Carolina.

When the sun comes up this morning, I'm still going to be in a 'Red' county that voted overwhelmingly for McCain. And, despite the nice words of the candidates, these voters aren't going to get over it and get on with their lives. These people like the 20th century and see no reason to change and move on. They voted Wally Herger back into office and that tells me all I need to know about the good citizens of this county. It also tells me all I need to know about the Democratic Party that abandoned their candidate here. Without support from the Democrats, Jeff Morris didn't have a chance. Join the Democrats again? Not on your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment