Saturday, December 27, 2008

Are Retirees Breaking Their Social Contract?

— An Interview With Andrew D. Blechman –

I was browsing as usual and ran across this little gem. Now I need to see if I can get a copy of the book at the library. I'm not sure that I want to spend $$ to read what I believe I already know.

For myself, to be immersed in a community where everyone thinks alike would be torture. But at the same time, I sort of like the idea that they are all behind the walls of their 'castles', so I don't have to meet up with them on a daily basis. (I think I'm on dangerous ground just by having an AARP membership)

Here, On the Planet Orland, there seems to be an excess of elders. I could be wrong; it might just be the fact that I spend a lot of time involved with the Glenn County Seniors Centers, working as a volunteer board member. It's enjoyable work, but the most frustration comes from the fact that the majority of the elders I come in contact with are resistant to change of any kind and most are quite comfortable with the thought of living out their lives in the twentieth century. Ack! But, on the plus side, most are also resistant to the idea of retirement communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment