Tuesday, December 9, 2008

For Sale

The big story this morning has to be the bankruptcy protection filing of the Tribune company. That's 3 major newspapers all at once. These are strange times indeed.

But what's a newspaper to do these days? Remember the old quiz, 'What's black and white and red (read) all over?' And once upon a time the answer was 'A newspaper'. Now, if you ask that question you will get a blank look in return. Circulation is down and ad revenue is in the pits.

I know that we were once major league newspaper readers and now you will never find us out searching in the bushes for the morning paper. Why? I have everything I need right here on my computer. News, comics and ads…even coupons. All of my favorite columnists are on-line somewhere. It really doesn't matter where…

If any of the newspapers want to survive into the mid-century, they will need a new business model and if I were an executive of a major newspaper I would be talking (Pleading) to Google or Microsoft; maybe even Adobe. I would be asking them to invest in the newspaper and then to re-invent it for me.

On another but related subject; I have to wonder how much less paper is being used now that newspapers are cutting down on their orders? Is it millions of tons per year? I would imagine it's substantial. And that means fewer jobs. The ink industry? Another job 'hit'.

2 comments:

  1. I am really "old school" as I love the feel of the paper in my hands and turning the pages to see what will be on the next page. I like knowing where everything is like the movie schedule, grocery ads on Wednesday, the Calendar section showing what is happening around the city. I have noticed and lamented lately that there really is no "news" anymore in the paper. Since I get that online all I really get is some local tidbits without the big haired blond on TV. A slew of Ads are what you get mostly and I have been thinking about cutting back to just getting the weekend paper. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I would hate to see some of the great papers disappear; the LA and NY Times, etc.

    But they all make it tough to support them. For instance, I would buy the NY Times when I have a coffee in Chico, but they are only sold at Starbucks, so that's out. And delivery service for all the papers is terrible. They don't seem to be able to do anything, BUT, shoot themselves in the foot...or feet.

    ReplyDelete