Sunday, January 4, 2009

24 degrees and windy

We have the thermostat set for 62° from 10 at night until 5 the next morning and so I was a little surprised to hear the furnace running at 3 in the morning. It must be the cold wind outside…or we received no heat from the sun yesterday. A combination of those things?

The house has all dual pane windows and there is insulation galore, but yesterday, I was up in the attic putting away some Christmas items and I could really feel the wind coming in through the gable and soffit vents. I have an idea that is where the heat was going.

I think it's time I figured out an easy way to get firewood into the house and then get the wood burner going again. The house was built with two chimneys; one for the wood burning stove and one for a 'formal' fireplace. The fireplace is closed off and never used as it's so inefficient, while the wood burner actually has ductwork above it to deliver warm air to the remote rooms. Yet there is no place to store firewood. What were they thinking when they built the house? My wood pile is outside and far away from the house and I don't like bringing too much of it into the garage. But it looks like it will have to be done…

2 comments:

  1. A wood box for the garage? A wheelbarrow?.... What about under the covered patio somewhere?....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... and currently the wood is stacked just outside the kitchen door and a wheelbarrow full is outside under the patio cover. But, what I want is a place to keep it inside. Right now I have to take one piece from the garage, walk across the kitchen and into the family room, shedding dirt, bark and spiders as I go. Then go back and get another one when that one is ashes. I (dislike intensely)firewood!

    ReplyDelete