Friday, March 13, 2009

Still Going

Life goes on. And I'm still reading Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman. I'm trying to think of why I need to buy this book; I really want to. Or should I just keep checking it out of the library every chance I get? But, no…that still wouldn't allow me to mark the book up with underlining and flags on every other page. It's one of those books that invites marking as it's filled with great amounts of important data. Stuff you didn't know before. In fact, one of the previous readers has marked up the copy I'm reading, putting small check marks next to significant passages (in pencil). It seems they became tired of all that marking as the check marks disappear after the 22nd page.

Here is a quote I found in the book, one that I really enjoyed. The author is unknown…

"If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

This was in reference to how we treat our environment and how we need to come up with a 'real' plan to modify what we are doing to that environment.

Mr. Friedman points out what should be obvious; the power brokers of the world have politicized all attempts to protect our environment. It has become a case of politics versus science and politics seems to be winning. Which means that we, the people, are losing. You need to read the book.

Here's an excerpt; not the best but it was the only one I could find.

Link: Hot, Flat and Crowded


 

No comments:

Post a Comment