Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life in the slow lane

Yesterday, we had an appointment at 1:30 with our financial planner and so we spent some time in the morning shopping, here and there, in Chico. The stores were mostly empty? And then we had a small lunch before meeting with Jim. Again, the restaurant was mostly empty. But, at our meeting, the news was mostly good news. True, we had lost a lot of money, along with everyone else in the world, but our investments were starting to show a little growth again; foreign investment growth. And that was the main thrust of the message I heard from Jim, we are solidly connected, financially, with the rest of the world. Our fortunes and misfortunes aren't limited by our borders. Xenophobes just don't get it! That's something I've always known but it was nice to hear it from an expert; our own expert, that is true, but I think he's right.

On a different note; I'm not a fan of borders. Any kind of border. I don't understand why imaginary lines on a map can dictate how we behave towards one another. There is only one earth and we all have to live upon it. That's right; 'why can't we all just get along?' Call me misguided if you wish, it won't bother me. I just don't believe we were put upon the earth to hate one another. But…I don't see any change in the near future. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment