Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reboot

The storm is raging and I have a feeling that more than a few trees will be down before it's over. The previous two days had plenty of rain to soak the ground and now with 40 to 50 mph gusts the trees will be popping out of the ground. Luckily, we have a snug and tight home and the fire is blazing, keeping us warm as the wind batters us. Speaking of the wind, the power went out earlier but only for a few seconds, just enough to get the clocks flashing and to shut down the computers – except for the fact that we finally have a UPS for each computer. And they worked perfectly; no blank screens and then rebooting and hoping that the computer wasn't damaged. I had a bad UPS experience many years ago with an expensive and faulty one; I wasn't eager to do that again so for years I have simply plugged the power cords into the wall sockets and prayed, but the price for a UPS is finally down to a level where ordinary people can afford them. I paid $39 each at Amazon and that was for one in the middle of the price ranges; I could have had a cheaper one.

Our weather: http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Orland.html

No comments:

Post a Comment