Monday, August 2, 2010

Back in the park

Another 4.1 miles on a very humid day...for California. It was up to 52% and that made for a less than comfortable walk. But...we definitely enjoyed it because of the scenery. A little known factoid is that this park was the location for the original movie of Robin Hood and the park played the part of Sherwood Forest. Yes, Errol Flynn was once seen cavorting here among the trees in his green underwear.

We did the walk in 1hour and 14 minutes, which is a little slower than usual. The humidity might have been responsible for that or perhaps it was the fact that I was looking for that perfect piece of sycamore bark. I have almost finished the painting where I used the bark and now I want to start another. I was going to include a photo of it but my lighting scheme didn't work very well and the photo was unsatisfactory.

Heck, I might as well include it here anyway and I will tell you what's wrong with the photo...first, there are no gold colored flecks on the green pieces of bark. I guess that's reflections from the light above. And that same light seems to have washed out the gloss on the green. And I think I need to connect the shapes with a horizontal band of color.

I did find a few more interesting pieces of sycamore bark and with some heavy high-gloss acrylic medium on them, that might transform them into something quite nice...we will see. In the meantime, the park has an inexhaustible supply of bark and I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment