Sunday, October 17, 2010

Makes sense to me...

...the word algebra comes from the Arabic language (al-jabr, الجبر literally, restoration) and much of its methods from Arabic/Islamic mathematics, its roots can be traced to earlier traditions, most notably ancient Indian mathematics, which had a direct influence on Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī (c. 780-850). He learned Indian mathematics and introduced it to the Muslim world through his famous arithmetic text, Book on Addition and Subtraction after the Method of the Indians. He later wrote The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing, which established algebra as a mathematical discipline that is independent of geometry and arithmetic. The roots of algebra can be traced to the ancient Babylonians. (Modern Iraq)


I confess, I got a D in Algebra. But, the next year, I received a B in Geometry. Go figure. It's a Personality Type thing...


Anyway, I have a feeling that my youngest grandchildren won't have to worry about learning Algebra; not once the word is out that it's really a Muslim plot. I knew that...


No comments:

Post a Comment