Monday, November 29, 2010

Religion and such

Every once in awhile I become agitated by the 'Christians' in this country. I just read the other day that over 80% of Americans identify themselves as 'Christians'. I can't confirm that number...but I do know for a fact that there were a few empty seats in the pews yesterday. Maybe they slept in? 


I'm definitely agitated by the 'Christian' response to the fact that Muslims live among us. A mosque was burned in Oregon just the other day. 'Christians' are doing everything they can, illegally as well as legally, to stop the building of mosques in NYC and in Tennessee. Perhaps these people didn't know that Muslims have a lengthy history in the US of A"When Benjamin Franklin helped establish a non-denominational religious meeting house in Philadelphia, he emphasized its non-sectarian nature by stating that "even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach Mohammedanism to us, he would find a pulpit at his service". In 1776, there were over 3 million people in the colonies...you don't think there more than a few Muslims among them? "In 1790, the South Carolina legislative body granted special legal status to a community of Moroccans, twelve years after the Sultan of Morocco became the first foreign head of state to formally recognize the United States" South Carolina? Imagine that!

But I know that ignorance rules these days and my agitation will gain me nothing. But now that I have written this I do feel better...

No comments:

Post a Comment