Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Books of The Times -

James Bradley’s ‘Imperial Cruise’ - Queasy Side of Roosevelt’s Diplomacy

In our library this was marked as a 'New Book' and, unfortunately, with library budgets under attack everywhere, I'm sure it's the best they can do. So...the book is a few years old but no matter, the subject matter was fascinating to me; Teddy Roosevelt. I've read a few books about him but none with the detailed telling of his upbringing and of the times he lived in. Unfortunately, supporters of TR tell us that this was a time when white Americans commonly believed in their racial superiority. That's not an excuse. Presidents are meant to be better than the common man. Sadly, as we have found through the years, they are far more 'common' than exceptional and TR is no exception. I wouldn't have been able to stay in the same room with him without being sick to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment