Monday, July 25, 2011

Moving on

It's been a busy morning. I've been trying to consolidate my art materials into as few boxes as possible as we prepare for the move. I already have 10 boxes packed and I'm not through yet. My wife is carefully wrapping all the 'art decor' in the house. A job that I really can't do...I would be tempted to throw them in the box, write Fragile on top and call it good.

We both spend a lot of time daydreaming about the new house. We try to remember what things looked like; how big was that room? It's hopeless. I had good intentions; I was going to photograph each room. It never happened. Now I have to content myself with the photos I stole off the internet. It won't be long till we have the keys and then we can begin the moving in process. That's when we will remember what the house looked like!

We also spend a lot of time worrying. Will the pest inspection reveal that we have monster sized termites living under the floor? Will the well inspection reveal that our water is laced with arsenic and we just didn't know why we were feeling out of sorts? Septic tank inspection; we don't want to even think about it! On and on. Worry after worry. Which made me think that there should be a service which, for a fee, will 'guarantee' that everything will work out. I'd pay a $1,000 for that in a heartbeat! Maybe $2,000...

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea, your "Guarantee Service"!

    At our age, we do worry obsessively and it really can't be helped...should only be forgiven by us and others. It's miserable.

    The only thing I have to offer is that moves in the past always worked out. I figured things out, including the problems I hadn't anticipated. And my (still, surprisingly) adaptable brain not only adjusted to the unexpected, but managed to find the plusses in it. Ours are brains built to adapt.

    You could say that I trust nothing else but that. And although age reduces the adaptive capacity, it was overly abundant to begin with. There's enough for us still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course. And my mantra is "It will all work out in the end. If it hasn't worked out...then it's not the end."

    ReplyDelete