Sunday, August 5, 2012

Another day, another medal

Here we go again. Another full day of Olympics and NBC. Don't get me wrong as I do love the idea of Olympics; the Olympics where the amateur athletes of the world assemble to compete against each other. (Or the clock) I don't like seeing incredibly rich professional athletes wearing gold medals. It makes me want to vomit. And then there is this business of counting the medals won by a country. Excuse me? I didn't see a country competing, I saw athletes competing and the glory belongs solely to them.

Oh, well...it's an old complaint and nothing will change. There simply too much money involved to ever make changes.

On another note; did you see the women's 10,000 meter race? You need to see that race! Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia ran always hanging back in the pack. Then, as final the 6 or 7 laps  came up, she began her move. Soon she was in 4th place and moving forward. As the last two laps began she moved to the front and then, when everyone expected the Nigerians to make a kick, she accelerated and left everyone seconds behind her! I get goose bumps just thinking about the race.

And the next day, it was the men's 10,000 and another thrilling finish. Mo Farah of GB and Galen Rupp of the USA were 1 and 2 in a finish that is giving me those goose bumps again. And to top it off, Mo and Galen have been training partners for the past 18 months while Mo was in Oregon to train under Alberto Salazar.

The best part of the Olympic viewing experience? It's being able to use the Mute button on the remote. Goodbye Costas! You're outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment