Wednesday, December 2, 2015

It's too early to shop for Christmas...

I don't want to do it. I actually enjoy most shopping. I like to go grocery shopping as long as it's Trader Joe's or Raley's. I like shopping at Kohl's for my clothes. I don't mind Target for my cat food and paper plates. But Christmas shopping is something I avoid at all costs. I will probably wait until December 15th and then, later at night, I will log on to the Amazon store and do it all in half an hour. And I don't want anything at all. Nothing. Nada. Give to your favorite charity. Don't know which one? I will be glad to give you suggestions. Imagine if we all did that! What a great present for the world that would be!

The act of not wanting a present is something I see among most elders. If we have reached an age where we are retired and are able to live comfortably. Comfortably meaning that we have enough money for rent or house payment, for food, for clothing, for medical insurance and co-pays... we really don't need any more than that. I have a cupboard out in the garage where I store all those kitchen appliances that we no longer need. We give them away whenever the cupboard seems a bit crowded. It's the same with clothes and shoes.

If you still need to give me a present, give me a tube of acrylic paint. Any color. I'm an artist and paint is always needed. The color you give me may be just the inspiration I need. I tend to paint on any kind of surface, so I don't need any paper or canvas. At this time of year I can always find plenty of cardboard. Cardboard gives a painting a great texture.

Speaking of painting, I finished hanging my latest piece in the living room. I tried to take a photo of it in its final position but the lighting was all wrong this morning.  Trust me, it looks good there. The photo on the right was taken in the garage.
















No comments:

Post a Comment