Friday, November 5, 2004

Success!

I need to finish painting the office/study…or I should say go back over some of my work. As I sit here, facing the south wall, and with the sunlight streaming across it, I can see all sorts of “holidays” in the color. Now I hope I have enough of that color left to make the necessary repairs.

(Later) I have the wall painted once more and now I need to wait till tomorrow morning so that the sun’s angle will reveal any flaws. And while I painting, I was also cooking up my first batch of pomegranate molasses. It’s a slow process of simmering the juice until it is reduced by about two thirds. Of course I imagined all of the possibilities if this stuff turns out to be as good as I hope it will be. First, I will have to begin bottling and labeling it. I would have a small business at first, selling a couple hundred bottles (4 oz) a year. Since the going price is $2.50 per bottle I would have to figure out a way to increase demand before increasing the bottle price. I could do that by sponsoring molasses tasting events; where judges could make learned comments about the bouquet and the finish.

And I better think of a new name for the product; molasses is not exactly what people think of as an exciting product. (“Slow as molasses” comes to mind.) The problem I see when looking for an exciting name is the fact that both molasses and pomegranate have far too many letters in their names. “Wine” and “Beer” are perfect names, only four letters each, which, undoubtedly accounts for their popularity. Maybe I should get my Scrabble game out and see what I can come up with?

And after a year of intensive PR work, with the right product name, I could see the beginnings of great new industry. Orchards filled with pomegranate trees would stretch to the horizon and a vast bottling plant would churn out thousands of $5 bottles every hour.

Day dreams; don't you love them?

No comments:

Post a Comment