Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wednesday Morning

Wednesday has rolled around again, right on schedule. And I have had a few moments to enjoy the coffee and the silent comfort of the house while I read the morning news. It’s not all that dark outside as the moon is very close to being full and the western sky is bright. And in a another week or so, (December 22) we will experience the Winter Solstice, that wonderful time of year when we see the promise of Spring as the days lengthen once more. C’mon Summer!

Some of the morning news is interesting; with a promise of taxing the smokers out of existence! California is considering a $2.60 additional tax on a pack of cigarettes. I’m all for it, though I think an outright ban on it would be better. And addicts should have to have a prescription from their doctor to be able to buy nicotine. Yes, an ex-smoker is the least tolerant…

And there is quite a lengthy story about our acting governor and a closed door meeting with his fellow Republicans. Apparently they are upset that he isn’t following the party line in all that he does and says. And that led me to thinking about that “party Line” business…I guess one to the things that bothers me the most about our current political climate is the fact that most of our representatives, state and federal, have forgotten that they serve the people, not the party. And until they remember, they will deserve the low opinions that the public has of them. I’m speaking of both Democrats and Republicans…

And in other news, I read that in order to rent a two bedroom apartment; not a house, you will need to earn $19.38 an hour if you live in Sacramento County. Nationally, that dollar figure is $15.78 an hour. I would imagine that North Dakota has the lowest numbers. Can you commute to Sacramento from; let’s say, Dunn Center, North Dakota? (It’s right there on State Route 200, between Killdeer and Halliday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment