Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Those 60's

The latest issue of American Heritage magazine focuses on the year 1964, saying that was the year that the era that everyone calls the 60’s, really started. They seem to have a good point and the evidence backs them up. The 50’s just sort of slid right into the early 60’s and then everything changed after 1964.

1964 was a time in history when the majority of people finally realized that the government was not their friend and could not be depended upon to do the right thing…ever. It was time of enlightenment and I loved it.

But, I was busy working through most of the 60’s. I was home from active duty (Navy) in 1961 and married in 1963. I was soon working full time as an apprentice “sheetrocker” and I became a father for the first time in 1964. In 1965 I was discharged from the Naval Reserve. I was a proud father once again in 1967 and in 1969. And I was working steadily, including weekends and evenings.

I had to work hard if I wanted to buy a house and a car and all the things that go along with living in suburbia. Our house, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, had a $21,000 mortgage. My Toyota Hilux pickup truck cost a little over $2,000, brand new. Gasoline was .27 cents a gallon. A hamburger at McDonalds would cost you .15 cents. And I had to make do with a $200 a week paycheck for 40 hours of work. Naturally I tried to find weekend or evening work; a little something extra was always needed.

The 1960’s? Yes, I would love to see them again.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Ahhh......the 60's. I graduated high school in 65 and what a great time it was. The rally cry was "Question Authority". It seemed to be an enlightened generation, however, what happened to those people with high ideals? They can't be our current politicians? Are they still on a commune somewhere, blissfully living apart from our turbulant times?

    ReplyDelete