Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Castles

Another fine spring day, and this morning’s chore will be to return all of the books that weren’t sold at last week’s sale. The Friends of the Library made about $3,200 from this sale. And at an average of 25 cents per book…we sold a lot of books! Even so, it looks like we have about 12,000 books to return to storage or to the recycling center. A full morning’s work.

I was listening to NPR, Fresh Air, and heard an interview with Bill Moyers. Great interview by Terry Gross. I heard that Mr. Moyers has come out of retirement and has a new show on PBS. If there were any reason to return to television viewing, this would be top of my list. But I can’t justify the return based on just one show…

I was in ‘memory mode’ this morning. The Middle Ages and castles were a favorite subject of mine to explore every time I went to the library when I was about 10 years old. And I enjoyed making toy castles from clay and then attacking them with my own ‘weapons of mass destruction’; Tinker Toy catapults.

So it was interesting to see that the Pentagon still believes in castles; building great walls around some neighborhoods in Iraq. And we’re even committed ($$$) to building castle walls on our national borders. Now, weren’t the Middle Ages also known as the Dark Ages?

2 comments:

  1. They were going to build the walls and then call them "Gated Communities" like the Iraqis could fall under the marketing spell and think they were special to live behind walls! Will they never learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:45 AM

    Imagine that! Gated Communities in the year 1007...who knew they would still be fashionable a thousand years later?

    ReplyDelete