Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pass the Ben-Gay

Oh, oh. I’m sore this morning. Yesterday was the day that the order of very LARGE pots showed up at the Plant Barn and I got a chance to get up close and personal with them, moving them to the spots where they are best displayed. And these pots don’t come packaged individually; they are stacked with other smaller pots contained within them. It’s very much like the Russian dolls that contain many, successively smaller, dolls. The pots are stacked on pallets, right side up and upside down, each one filled with pots and more pots.

I took a look at the usual email this morning and then noticed that the New York Times seems to have abandoned their ‘pay to read’ scheme for their more popular columnists. It’s about time. I suppose it’s been about a year since I last clicked on a Bob Herbert column. Now the Times will have to try and regain the readers they lost with that ill advised plan.

On another note; after Monday and Tuesday’s internet connection fiasco, I was reading an article in the Economist, telling all about the broadband coverage in the state of Kentucky. The goal is to have service for 98% of the population by the end of the year. And they are on schedule. Kentucky versus California. I don’t get it?

One of the downsides of aging (for me) is the fact that I’m both alive and old at the very beginning of the age of technology. I hate to think of all that I’m going to miss! And at the rate it’s happening, I’m going to miss the day that they deliver real broadband service to this address. In the meantime, an empty and useless fiber optic cable lies buried, just across the road from us. It’s been there for about 5 years.

I was reading last night…OK; I had my eyes closed as well. But I did have a book in my hand. I awoke and was startled to hear the scanner making a lot of noise so I went to see what was happening. Laurae had turned it up when she heard something about an ‘evacuation’ in Orland. We listened for awhile without learning much more and then I decided to continue my ‘reading’ in bed. I checked with the ER this morning and here is the story. I suppose it’s best we don’t think about the various chemicals that are being transported hourly/daily past where we live and work. I know that the town of Chico is especially at risk because the railroad cuts right through the residential areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment