Monday, October 29, 2007

Complaints

I have a problem with Lowe’s. The local store just made it onto my personal ‘Don’t Shop’ list. Last Saturday, I had stopped at Bellachino’s and after I finished my medium chai, it was time to go to Lowe’s for some supplies for the Plant Barn; redwood for 3 new plant tables. I picked through the lumber until I had what I thought were the best of the lot, maybe $130 dollars worth of lumber, and I proceeded to the checkout where I had to wait. And wait. And wait some more. One clerk; on the phone and making sure he wasn’t making eye contact with any of the four people in line. About 20 feet away, at the Commercial Sales desk, another clerk yawned and also looked elsewhere. I took this for about ten minutes before I abandoned my cart in the middle of the aisle and left the store.

Now what? I had made a statement…sort of. But I still need the wood and must look elsewhere for it. The Chico Home Depot? I stopped shopping there because of the same type of incident. It looks like I will have to drive to Red Bluff and go to the Home Depot store there.

Speaking of ‘big box stores’, have you noticed that it’s almost impossible to find a Complaint Department on their websites? There is no reason to complain to the clerks in the store; the complaint will never reach the ears of anyone who might make a difference.

OK. I’m wrong. I found the Lowe’s complaint department and have sent them my grousing via e-mail. Wish me luck.

New posts on Short Laps, Good Eats and Working

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 PM

    Why not Corning Lumber? Keep your dollars in Orland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there. Done that. Three times. The first two times they didn't have what I wanted. The third time, I asked to go with the clerk and look for myself. I wanted a 7/8" weepscreed and I found it...in the slot labeled 'corner bead'. When Corning Lumber decides to be a real building material dealer, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the more valid reason to shop in Chico would be the fact that the Plant Barn is located there and my daughter, who lives in Chico, would be paying for it... as you said, shop locally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Well, I've spent lots of money at Corning Lumber and never had more than the usual frustrations you get everywhere. I've found them to be friendly and helpful for the most part (sans one employee).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, They are certainly friendly and I'm always told that they don't have what I'm looking for with expressions of genuine regret. But competence and cordiality are not opposite sides of the same coin. I certainly support local business when they have what I am looking for. You can spot me at Ace hardware and Garry's Saw Shop, etc. But Corning lumber fills a niche market...and it isn't my niche.

    ReplyDelete